POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – The Marist men’s soccer team lost a 2-1 overtime heartbreaker on Saturday night against Fairfield. Senior Gerry Ceja (Port Chester, N.Y.) scored for the Red Foxes off an assist from junior Matty Berman (West Orange, N.J.). Senior goalkeeper Anthony Sokalski (London, Ontario) recorded eight saves in an impressive defensive effort for Marist.

Marist and Fairfield battled a physical match to a scoreless halftime. The Stags outshot the Red Foxes 6-2 and maintained a 4-1 advantage in corner kicks during the first half. Sokalski posted an outstanding performance in goal, recording five saves in which he needed to come off the line. Early in the first half, a Fairfield forward attempted a shot from the left hand side towards the upper right corner. Sokalski dove across the face of the goal, knocking the ball out of bounds to keep the game tied 0-0.

Later, with just minutes remaining until halftime, Stags’ Reco McLaren dribbled into the box from the right side of the turf. Sokalski ran off his line, meeting McLaren half way, and made a one-on-one save to secure a 0-0 score at the half.

The Red Foxes controlled a majority of the possession in the second half, outshooting the Stags 7-6. Fairfield was first to get on the board at the 58:45 mark. Sokalski blocked a shot by a Stag’s forward that was collected by Daniel Shaw. Shaw one touched the rebounded save into the back of the net to give Fairfield a 1-0 lead.

With 30:30 remaining in the half, freshman Tudor Brata (Baia Mare, Romania) attempted a shot from the top of the six that slammed off the crossbar and out of bounds. The score would remain in favor of Fairfield until the 87:20 mark when Ceja tied the game, 1-1. Berman received a pass around midfield and dribbled up. He passed laterally to Ceja in Stags’ territory. Ceja took a touch then ripped a shot from 35 yards out, sinking perfectly into the left side of the net, forcing overtime.

Fairfield quickly brought the ball down to Marist’s end of the field and earned a corner kick. Jake Zuniga took the corner and connected with Jordan Ayris near the backside of the net. Ayris headed the ball in for the 2-1 overtime victory.

Marist finished its season with an overall record of 3-15 and 2-8 in conference play.

Become a fan of Marist Athletics on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram.