POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – The Marist men’s soccer team fell to Canisius 4-2 in its Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) home opener on Wednesday afternoon. Steven Arraiano (Putnam Valley, N.Y.) netted his third goal this season for the Red Foxes in the 52nd minute. Greg Davis (Jamaica, N.Y.) recorded his second goal this season in the 86th minute.

“It was a tough result,” said head coach Matt Viggiano. “I thought we had the momentum going when we were up 1-0. Then came the tough penalty kick and we hit the cross bar on a free kick. Once we gave up the second goal it deflated us. Mentally, it was tough for us to get over the hurdle. We fought hard but we need to find a way to get over the hump.”

Marist maintained possession for a majority of the opening period, battling the Golden Griffins to a scoreless first half. Canisius scored in the first half, but it was called back for an offside penalty. The Golden Griffins outshot the Red Foxes 7-3 but could not score past Marist goalkeeper Anthony Sokalski (London, Ontario) who recorded three saves in the first half.

Arraiano’s third career goal occurred at the 51:10 mark off a trick play. An indirect kick was setup just outside the box with three Red Foxes surrounding the ball. Davis tapped the ball to Arraiano, whose back was facing the net. He turned and one-touched the shot to the lower left corner to take a 1-0 lead.

Minutes later at the 55:31 mark, a controversial penalty was called in the box on Sokalski as he attempted to make a sliding save. Canisius’ Will Hudson placed the penalty kick in the lower left corner to tie the game 1-1.

A Golden Griffins foul led to a direct kick for Marist just outside the box. Davis attempted the shot for the Red Foxes but rocked the ball off the crossbar. Canisius recovered the deflection and sent the ball up-field. A Golden Griffins throw-in led to a one-touch goal by Nicolo Baudo inside the box to take a 2-1 lead in the 73rd minute.

After another ten minutes of back-and-forth, Canisus’ Asani Samuels dribbled the ball up the right sideline and crossed to Denver Spearman. Spearman controlled the ball and made a hard shot in the upper left corner at the 85:16 mark to increase the lead, 3-1.

The second Arraiano-Davis combination of the game led to a Marist goal in the 86th minute. Arraiano passed the ball to the left side of the field and connected with Davis. He dribbled about ten yards before scoring in the lower right corner. The Red Foxes trailed 3-2 with under five minutes remaining.

The final goal of the game came in the 89th minute by Samuels off a cross from Spearman. Canisius defeated the Red Foxes 4-2 to move to 1-0-1 in the MAAC. Marist moved to 0-2 in conference play.

The Red Foxes host Saint Peter’s on Saturday, Oct. 12 at home. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Tenney Stadium. Admission is free and open to the public.

Become a fan of Marist Athletics on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram.