(8-9, 5-3 MAAC)
  1st 2nd F
Box Score

(13-3, 7-1 MAAC)
 Marist And Monmouth Battle To Wire; Rematch In Women's Lacrosse MAAC Semi-Finals
 Stat Comparison Monmouth Marist
 Goals  12  11
 Shots 17  25 
 Draw Controls 19 
 Caused Turnovers
 Ground Balls 14  19 
 Turnovers 14  17 
 Individual Leaders
 Stat  Monmouth  Marist
 Goals  Lutts, 4  Romano & Gionta, 3
 Assists Gonzales, 2  Larson & McHugh, 2 
 Draw Controls Lutts, LaMarca & Rakowitz, 2  Romano, 9 
 Caused Turnovers N/A  Eight players, 1 
 Ground Balls Donohoe, 3  Romano, 6 
 Saves Donohoe, 4  Witczak, 4 
 Up Next: MAAC Tournament
Who: No. 4 Monmouth
When: Fri., May 2 - 5 p.m.
Where: Buffalo, N.Y.
Full Schedule

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – The Marist women’s lacrosse team (13-3, 7-1 MAAC) wrapped up a record-breaking season on Saturday afternoon against Monmouth (7-9, 5-3 MAAC). The Hawks topped Marist 12-11 in a contest that was close throughout. The top-seeded Red Foxes will face No. 4 Monmouth in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Semi-Finals on Friday, May 2. First draw is slated to begin at 5 p.m.

Marist is entering the tournament as the No. 1 seed for the first time in program history. The Red Foxes also won a share of the MAAC Regular Season title for the first time in history.

Senior Jamie Romano (Kings Park, N.Y.) and sophomore Allison Gionta (Eastport, N.Y.) each netted hat trick to lead Marist while Romano added one assist. Junior Erin Schroeder (Vera Beach, Fla.) posted two goals while juniors Kirsten Viscount (Smithtown, N.Y.), Lexi Brannigan (Loudonville, N.Y.), and senior Olivia Waters (Manhasset, N.Y.) added one goal apiece. Senior Tierney Larson (Fairfield, Conn.) and sophomore Kara McHugh (Madison, Conn.) dished out two assists each.

Freshman goalkeeper Abigail Witczak (Mendham, N.J.) notched four saves for the Red Foxes in net. Romano won a game-high nine draw controls and collected six ground balls.

Monmouth pushed ahead to an early 2-0 lead with 27:02 left in the first half on back-to-back goals by Kendall Lutts. Viscount capitalized on a free-position shot at the 26:18 mark to put the Red Foxes on the board. Michelle Gonzales scored on a free-position of her own less than a minute later to give the Hawks a 3-1 lead. Gionta responded 50 seconds later off an assist from Romano to cut Monmouth’s lead to one with 25:03 left.

The Hawks netted three straight goals over the following eight minutes to claim their largest lead of the game, 6-2, halfway through the first period. Gionta broke up Monmouth’s streak with a goal at the 12:59 mark to pull her Red Foxes within three. Allison Stathius netted an unassisted goal with 11:46 to go to give Monmouth a four-goal lead once again. Marist closed the first half with three unanswered goals by Romano, Waters, and Brannigan as the Red Foxes trailed Monmouth by just one at the half.

After seven and a half scoreless minutes, Kaleigh Gibbons scored for the Hawks to extend their led, 8-6. Romano scored her second of the afternoon with 21:39 to go but Cassie Campasano responded right away with her lone goal of the game to push Monmouth ahead, 9-7 with 18:27 to go. Gionta completed her hat trick with 15:35 left in the first half off a pass from McHugh to keep close to the Hawks.

Back-to-back goals by Olivia Higson and Claudia LaMarca gave Monmouth an 11-8 edge heading into the final 12 minutes of play. Romano and Schroeder scored the next two for Marist to trail 11-10 with 7:36 remaining. Lutts netted her fourth of the afternoon with 2:34 left to give Monmouth a two goal edge. Schroeder scored the final goal of the game but it would fall one short as the Hawks walked away with a 12-11 victory.