(10-2, 4-0 MAAC)
  1st 2nd OT 1 OT 2 F
 Marist 15 
 5 13
Box Score

(2-10, 2-3 MAAC)
 Larson Scores Overtime Game-Winner As Women’s Lacrosse Tops Quinnipiac
 Stat Comparison Marist Quinnipiac
 Goals  15 13 
 Shots  36  21 
 Assists  8 6
 Draw Controls  25  7
 Caused Turnovers 11   15
 Ground Balls  20  13
 Turnovers  18  18
 Saves  3  10
 Individual Leaders
 Stat  Marist  Quinnipiac
 Goals  McHugh & Gionta, 4  Ochwat, 3
 Assists  McHugh, Larson, & Romano, 2  Ochwat, 3
 Draw Controls  Romano, 13  Kuhn & Tinsley, 2
 Caused Turnovers  Four players, 2  Laplante, 7
 Ground Balls  Pumo, 6  Laplante, 3
 Saves  Witczak, 2  Tilts, 10
 Up Next
Who: Manhattan
When: Wed., April 16 - 4 p.m.
Where: Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
Full Schedule

HAMDEN, Conn. – The Marist women’s lacrosse team (10-2, 4-0 MAAC) picked up an exciting 15-13 overtime win over Quinnipiac in a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) on Sunday afternoon. Senior Tierney Larson (Fairfield, Conn.) hit the game-winner 1:35 remaining in the second overtime period. With win, the Red Foxes improved to 10-2 overall, surpassing its win total from last season, and remains a perfect 4-0 in MAAC play to maintain its first place standing.

Including her game-winning goal, Larson tallied three goals and two assists. Sophomore Kara McHugh (Madison, Conn.) matched a team-high four goals alongside sophomore Allison Gionta (Easport, N.Y.). McHugh also dished out two assists. Junior Emily Leonard (Brookfield, Conn.) had two goals and one assist. Senior Jamie Romano (Kings Park, N.Y.) added one goal, two assists and won 13 draw controls. Junior Kirsten Viscount (Smithtown, N.Y.) posted one goal and one assist.

Marist won 25 draw controls while Quinnipiac picked up seven. The Red Foxes outshot the Bobcats 36-to-21 and collected 20 ground balls.

Larson opened up the first half of play with a quick goal, assisted by Romano, to give Marist an early 1-0 lead with 29:23 to go. Quinnipiac’s Kearney Sneath responded with a goal at the 27:41 mark to tie the game at one. Romano earned her second assist of the game, helping on McHugh’s goal at the 25:39 mark to give the Red Foxes a 2-1 lead. Sneath netted her second of the game to knot the game at two with 22:44 left in the first half. Viscount responded with a goal of her own at the 20:56 mark to give Marist a 3-2 edge. Kelly Babstock tied the game once again for the Bobcats with 19:34 left to play.

After 12 scoreless minutes, Quinnipiac’s Aileen Carey and Kyra Ochwat netted back-to-back unassisted goals to give the Bobcats a 5-3 lead with 5:31 left in the first half. After almost 17 full minutes of scoreless play for Marist, Gionta converted on her first goal of the game at the 4:04 mark to cut the Bobcat lead, 5-4; a score that would stick heading into half.

Gionta tied the game up to open the second half, assisted by McHugh, with 27:53 left. Kayla Fu scored at the 25:42 mark to give the Bobcats a 6-5 advantage. Quinnipiac’s lead was short lived as McHugh scored her second goal of the afternoon to tie the game at the 25:32 mark. Gionta completes the hat trick with 21:14 to go off a pass from McHugh to give Marist a 7-6 lead.

Following five minutes of silence, Michaela Tinsley scored for Quinnipiac with 16:21 to go to tie the game 7-7. Just over a minute later, Leonard scored off a pass from Larson to take an 8-7 lead. Tinsley tied the game again at seven, followed one goal apiece from Pheobe Laplante and Kathleen DeVito to give the Bobcats a 10-8 lead with 12:36 left in the second half.

Leonard got the Red Foxes back on track with her third score at the 11:36 mark to cut the Bobcat lead, 10-9. Larson dished out a pass from the back side of the net to McHugh front center to lock the game at 10-all with 9:06 to go. Romano won the following draw control and took the ball down the middle of the field and scored an unassisted goal to push Marist ahead by one.

Ochwat tied the game at 11 for Quinnipiac with 5:54 after winning a tough defensive battle. The tie score would prove to be momentary as McHugh netted her fourth goal of the afternoon to give the Red Foxes a critical 12-11 lead with 4:47 to go in regulation. DeVito converted on a free position shot for Quinnipiac to tie the game at 12 with 2:28 to play. The closing two minutes were scoreless as the game headed into overtime.

Gionta scored out of the gate to give Marist a 13-12 lead with 2:24 left in the first overtime period. Ochwat retaliated for the Bobcats with a goal at the 2:31 mark in the second overtime period to tie it at 13. Marist won the ensuing draw control and Larson scored off the possession to give the Red Foxes a 14-13 lead with 1:36 left in the second overtime period. Larson scored one more on an empty net with one second to go, assisted by Viscount. Larson would earn the game-winner as Marist defeated Quinnipiac 15-13 to remain perfect in MAAC play.  

Marist hosts Manhattan in a conference match-up on Wednesday, April 16. First draw is scheduled for 4 p.m. at Tenney Stadium. Admission is free and open to the public.