COLLEGE PARK, Maryland – For the second consecutive game, the Marist baseball team picked up a victory, this time beating the University of Pennsylvania Quakers 4-3 in Game 1 of the three game series. Due to weather in the Philadelphia area, the game was moved to Bob “Turtle” Smith Stadium on the campus of the University of Maryland.

With the win, the Red Foxes now stand at 8-6 on the season.

Sophomore Frankie Gregoire led Marist offensively going 2-for-5 with a two run home run, his fourth of the season, to go along with one run scored and two RBI. Sophomore Randy Taveras finished 2-for-4 with a run scored and redshirt freshman Tyler Kapuscinski went 1-for-4 with two runs scored and extended his hitting streak to six games. Redshirt junior Greg Kocinski finished 1-for-4 with one RBI.

On the mound, senior Sean Keenan picked up his second victory of the year, throwing seven and one third innings, giving up three runs on just four hits with a walk and five strikeouts. Tony Romanelli got the save, his fourth of the season, pitching a perfect one and two thirds innings while giving up no runs on no hits.

The Red Foxes opened the scoring in the top of the first inning. With one out, Kapuscinski singled to left field and Gregoire followed with a bomb to left field, his fourth of the year, giving Marist the early 2-0 lead.

The Quakers answered in the bottom of the second when Holden Morris singled through the right side with one out and Matt McGeagh followed with a two run homer to left center, tying the game at 2-2.

In the bottom of the fourth inning, Matt O’Neill led off with a walk, stole second on a strike out and then advanced to third on a wild pitch during the next at bat. McGeagh followed with an RBI ground out to the shortstop and Penn had the 3-2 lead.

Two innings later, the Red Foxes answered when Taveras singled up the middle with one out, stole second and then scored when Tyler Kirkpatrick reached on an error by the second baseman to even the score at 3-3.

One inning later, after a Quaker pitching change, Kapuscinski led off with a walk, stole second and advanced to third on a wild pitch. Two batters later, Kocinski hit a sac fly to left field that scored Kapuscinski and Marist regained the lead 4-3.

In the bottom of the eighth, Tim Graul reached on an error by the shortstop and advanced to second with one out. Romanelli replaced Keenan on the mound and got out of the jam with back-to-back ground outs to second.

Down to its last three outs, Penn came to bat in the bottom of the ninth, looking to rally. However, Romanelli was lights out and got a 1-2-3 inning with a fly out, ground out and fly out to secure the 4-3 victory.

Up next, the two teams will play a doubleheader on Sunday (1:30 & 4 PM) at the Harford Sports Complex in Bel Air, MD. Game 2 will be seven innings, while Game 3 will be nine innings.