NEW ROCHELLE, New York – The Marist softball team earned five First or Second Team All-Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference selections. Senior outfielder Janna Korak, senior catcher Rebecca Freeman, and junior outfielder Kourtney Paul were named First Team All-MAAC. Junior designated player Gabrielle Kelliher and sophomore infielder Brandi Coon were named Second Team All-MAAC.
Korak earned an All-MAAC honor for the third time in her career. She was named Second Team All-MAAC as a freshman and junior. Korak has tied the program record for RBIs in a season with 52, and leads the Red Foxes in 12 statistical categories. Earlier Wednesday, she set the program's all-time record with her 51st career double.
Freeman made an All-MAAC team for the first time in her career. This season, she is hitting .312 with five homers and 35 RBIs. On Feb. 26, she tied the NCAA single-game record with 11 RBIs – in which she hit three homers, including a walk-off grand slam – vs. Savannah State. Her 219 career hits rank third all-time in program history.
Paul also earned the first All-MAAC honor of her career. She is hitting .356 with four home runs, 21 RBIs, and 30 runs scored. Paul ranks second on the team in average, stolen bases (10) and on-base percentage (.433).
Kelliher has now been named Second Team All-MAAC each of the last two years after being named to the All-Rookie Team two years ago. She is hitting .333 with eight home runs and 29 RBIs this year. Her 28 career home runs rank tied for fourth all-time in program history.
Coon was named to the MAAC All-Rookie Team last year. This season, she is hitting .312 with one home run, 14 RBIs, and 30 runs scored. Coon had the MAAC's highest batting average in conference games this year at .443. She also has committed just two errors in 184 chances for a fielding percentage of .989.
The Red Foxes led the MAAC with 14 selections to the MAAC All-Academic Team. To qualify for the team, a student-athlete must have a grade-point average of at least 3.20 on a 4.0 scale, be of at least sophomore standing, and have been enrolled at the institution for at least two semesters. Here are Marist's honorees, with their major:
- Sophomore Megan Beiermeister – Psychology/Education
- Junior Brittany Colombo – Business Administration
- Sophomore Brandi Coon – Computer Science
- Junior Gabrielle Kelliher – Medical Technology
- Senior Janna Korak – Business Administration
- Sophomore Kallen Leeseberg – Fashion Merchandising
- Senior Erin McHugh – Communication
- Sophomore Claire Oberdorf – Math/Adolescence Education
- Senior Jayne Oberdorf – Business Administration
- Sophomore Casey Page – Digital Media
- Junior Kourtney Paul – Business Administration
- Junior Miranda Perez – Business Administration
- Sophomore Brooke Peterson – Environmental Science/Policy
- Red-Shirt Senior Jessica Van Alphen – Communication
Coon and Kelliher were named CoSIDA Academic All-District on May 4.
Third-seeded Marist (35-21) will return to action in this year's MAAC Softball Championship on Thursday, when the Red Foxes face either top-seeded Iona or fifth-seeded Monmouth in an elimination game. First pitch is scheduled for 4:30 p.m., and the game will be carried live on ESPN3.