COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Senior Joris Van Eck (Ospel, The Netherlands) became the third Red Fox to win a set in an NCAA Tournament match, but the Marist men’s tennis team fell 4-0 to #12 Texas A&M in the First Round. The match was played at the Aggies’ George P. Mitchess Tennis Center.
The Red Foxes dropped the doubles’ point 2-0 as the Aggies won 8-3 at second doubles and 8-4 at third. The pairing of Billy Bishop (Houston, Texas) and Dalen Klassen (St. Louis, Mo.) trailed 7-1 when the match was stopped as the doubles’ point was already won.
Van Eck ended his Marist career in style, taking the second set over his opponent 6-1, to tie the match at one set apiece. The third set did not start as the overall match had already been decided.
Three players - Klassen at second singles, Joseph Dube (Livonia, Mich.) at fifth singles and Fredrik Bjerke (Oslo, Norway) - all battled their opponents in the first set of their respective singles’ matches before falling 6-3.
Klassen held a 4-1 lead at one point in the second set. The match was stopped with him still leading 4-3.
Dube also held a lead in the second set, moving ahead of his opponent 3-1 before the match was called with the score tied at 3-3.
Lorenzo Rossi (Lugano, Switzerland), at first singles, and Bjerke each held leads of 3-2 lead in the second set. However, both dropped the final four sets to fall in their matches.
Junior Will Reznek (Toronto, Canada) fell 6-1, 6-2 at third singles.
“One of the phrases I said to the guys was, ‘Savor the moments and enjoy the battle.’” Marist head coach Tim Smith said. “I think we had many good moments in this. Obviously (Texas A&M) has a terrific team, and I was very happy with the way our kids competed. I said to the team that we do have the ability to win our conference. This is the 10th time we’ve been to the NCAAs, and I’m not satisfied unless we get there every year.”
Marist ends its season with a 17-4 record. The Red Foxes won their 10th Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Championship in program history two weeks ago, defeating Fairfield 4-2.
1. #100 Junior Ore (TAM) def. Lorenzo Rossi (Marist): 6-0, 6-3
2. #103 Harrison Adams (TAM) vs. Dalen Klassen (Marist): 6-3, 3-4, unfinished
3. #76 Shane Vinsant (TAM) def. Will Reznek (Marist): 6-1, 6-2
4. Joris Van Eck (Marist) vs. Jordan Szabo (TAM): 1-6, 6-1, unfinished
5. Behzad Minavi (TAM) vs. Joseph Dube (Marist): 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
6. Niall Angus (TAM) def. Fredrik Bjerke (Marist): 6-3, 6-3
1. #29 Adams/Vinsant (TAM) vs. Bishop/Klassen (Marist): 7-1, unfinished
2. Efferding/Szabo (TAM) def. Bjerke/Nagelstad (Marist): 8-3
3. Angus/Ore (TAM) def. Rossi/Van Eck (Marist): 8-4