Men's Tennis Defeats Fairfield 4-2; Wins Program's 10th MAAC Championship
WEST WINDSOR, N.J. – The Marist men’s tennis team won its fifth Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Championship in the past six years with a 4-2 win over second-seeded Fairfield on Sunday afternoon at Mercer County Park. It is the 10th overall MAAC Championship for the men’s tennis program.
Lorenzo Rossi (Lugano, Switzerland), who was named the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player, won the decisive point at first singles, winning a three-set thriller 2-6, 6-1, 6-1.
The top-seeded Red Foxes (17-3, 6-0 MAAC) bounced back after Fairfield took the doubles point, winning four of the five singles’ matches that were completed.
Joris Van Eck (Ospel, The Netherlands) started the comeback at fourth singles, tying the match at one point apiece with an easy 6-0, 6-1 victory.
Will Reznek (Toronto, Canada) also cruised over his opponent, winning 6-3, 6-1 at third singles to give Marist an overall 2-1 lead in the match.
Trym Nagelstad (Oslo, Norway) won the third straight point for Marist with a straight set 6-3, 6-2 victory at sixth singles, setting it up for Rossi’s clinching win.
Dalen Klassen (St. Louis, Mo.) dropped a tough6-4, 6-3 decision at second singles and Joseph Dube (Livonia, Mich.) led 7-5, 5-2 at fifth singles, but the matched went unfinished as the overall outcome had already been decided.
“I was pleased to see that we peaked at the right time and the players will be rewarded for their hard work by being able to participate in the NCAA Tournament,” Head Coach Tim Smith said. “I am very excited that our team has won 10 MAAC Championships.”
The Red Foxes will search for their first ever NCAA Tournament victory when the tournament opens the weekend of May 10-12. Marist will find out its first round destination and opponent on Tuesday at 5 p.m. The selection show will be shown live on NCAA.com.
1. Rossi (Marist) def. Tesmond (FFD): 2-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Tioutine (FFD) def. Klassen (Marist): 6-4, 6-3
3. Reznek (Marist) def. Kremheller (FFD): 6-3, 6-1
4. Van Eck (Marist) def. Zlobinsky (FFD): 6-0, 6-1
5. Dube (Marist) vs. Solomon (FFD): 7-5. 5-2, unfinished
6. Nagelstad (Marist) def. Amyot (FFD): 6-3, 6-2
1. Klassen/Bishop (Marist) vs. Zlobinsky/Solomon (FFD): 6-3, unfinished
2. Tesmond/Amyot (FFD) def. Bjerke/Nagelstad (Marist): 8-3
3. Kremheller/Tioutine (FFD) def. Van Eck/Rossi (Marist): 8-5