Women’s Tennis Earns Share Of MAAC Regular Season Title With 4-3 Win Over Niagara
NIAGARA UNIV., N.Y. – In a dramatic regular season finale match, the Marist Women’s Tennis team defeated Niagara on the road by a 4-3 score. After winning the all-important doubles’ point, as well as straight set points at first and sixth singles, a three-set victory at third singles by senior Joana Sun (Mansfield, Mass.) gave the Red Foxes a share of the MAAC Regular Season title with Niagara and Fairfield.
The Red Foxes took the doubles’ point with victories by the #2 team of Kelsey Raynor (Garden City, N.Y.) and Sabrina Tahir (Yonkers, N.Y.) and #3 team of Marielle Campbell (Patterson, N.Y.) and Kaye Eastman (Grand Rapids, Mich.). Raynor/Tahir won 9-8 (7-3) over Celan/Hellstern, while Campbell/Eastman defeated Ta/McCune, 8-2.
In singles action, Raynor led off the winning as she breezed over Hilary Hansen, 6-1, 6-0 at first singles.
At sixth singles, Tahir made short work of Viki Sardellitti without dropping a point 6-0, 6-0.
After the Purple Eagles took three points with wins at second, fourth and fifth singles, the match came down to third singles where Sun faced off with Ashley Ta. The two combatants split the first two sets with Ta taking the first set 7-6 (7-4) before Sun went 7-6 (7-2) and 6-4 to close the match.
With the regular season wrapped up, the Red Foxes will next be in action on Saturday, April 27 in the semifinals of the MAAC Championships in West Windsor, N.J.; the title match will be held on Sunday, April 28.
Marist 4 – Niagara 3 – April 20, 2013
At North Tonawanda, N.Y.
1. Hansen/Ortiz (NIA) def. Pang/Sun, 9-8 (7-5)
2. Raynor/Tahir (MAR) def. Celan/Hellstern, 9-8 (7-3)
3. Campbell/Eastman (MAR) def. Ta/McCune, 8-2
1. Kelsey Raynor (MAR) def. Hilary Hansen, 6-1, 6-0
2. Sarah Hellstern (NIA) def. Karly Pang, 6-4, 6-3
3. Joana Sun (MAR) def. Ashley Ta, 6-7 (4-7), 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
4. Maria Ortiz (NIA) def. Marielle Campbell, 6-3, 6-4
5. Iva Celan (NIA) def. Lisa Ventimiglia, 7-5, 7-5
6. Sabrina Tahir (MAR) def. Viki Sardellitti, 6-0, 6-0