POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – The Marist men’s tennis team won its second match in as many days, defeating a tough Fordham squad on Tuesday afternoon by a 4-1 score in windy conditions at the Marist Tennis Pavilion. Due to the weather, the doubles matches were not played.
Freshman Fredrik Bjerke (Oslo, Norway), fresh off being named the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Player of the Week, won the match of the day by rallying from behind to defeat his opponent at sixth singles 2-6, 6-4, 6-4.
Dalen Klassen (St. Louis, Mo.) was dug into a tough match at second singles, playing into a third set after splitting two long sets. However, with the outcome of the overall match already decided and the conditions being the way they were, the match was not finished. At the time of the stoppage, Klassen was leading 6-4, 5-7, 2-1.
At first singles, Lorenzo Rossi (Lugano, Switzerland) fell in a hard fought two-set match 6-3, 7-6(5).
“We continued to grow as a team and as individual players,” Marist Head Coach Tim Smith said. “Van Eck played one of his better college matches and we really competed well in all of our singles’ positions.”
Marist (7-2) hits the road for a neutral match on Friday. The Red Foxes will play Xavier in the Bronx. They will return home on Saturday for a 2 p.m. match against Boston University.
1. Srikar Alla (Fordham) def. Lorenzo Rossi (Marist): 6-3, 7-6(5)
2. Dalen Klassen (Marist) vs. Matty Najfeld (Fordham): 6-4, 5-7, 2-1 DNF
3. Will Reznek (Marist) def. Michael Puntillo (Fordham): 6-1, 6-3
4. Joris Van Eck (Marist) def. J.J.Tauil (Fordham): 6-2, 6-1
5. Joseph Dube (Marist) def. Max Peara (Fordham): 6-2, 6-4
6. Fredrik Bjerke (Marist) def. Jan Krouhan (Fordham): 2-6, 6-4, 6-4