POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – The Marist men’s tennis team did not drop a set, rolling to an easy 7-0 sweep of Hofstra on Monday afternoon at the McCann Tennis Pavilion.
Lorenzo Rossi (Lugano, Switzerland) gone back into the win column with a 6-4, 6-4 win at first singles.
Will Reznek (Toronto, Canada), the defending MAAC Player of the Week, easily swept his opponent in the second singles position by a 6-1, 6-4 score.
No other Red Fox allowed their adversary to win four points in a set as Joseph Dube (Livonia, Mich.), Fredrik Bjerke (Oslo, Norway) and Trym Nagelstad (Oslo, Norway) all easily won at third, fourth and fifth singles, respectively. Dube was victorious 6-3, 6-1 and both Bjerke and Nagelstad won by identical 6-1, 6-2 scores.
In doubles’ action, Marist (6-2) used an international flavor to sweep the point. Nagelstad and Bjerke teamed to win in the top position by an 8-4 score. Joris Van Eck (Ospel, The Netherlands) and Matteo Giudici (Parma, Italy) cruised to an 8-1 victory at second doubles.
“Considering this was only our second match outside, I was very impressed with the way our players understood how to handle the wind and the sun,” Marist Head Coach Tim Smith said. “Our doubles’ teams continue to improve and our Norwegian Vikings have left the mainland and set sail.”
Marist continues its stretch of seven of eight matches at home when Fordham visits the McCann Tennis Pavilion on Tuesday in a 3 p.m. match.
1. Lorenzo Rossi (Marist) def. Ari Richman (Hofstra): 6-4, 6-4
2. Will Reznek (Marist) def. Matt Gemmell (Hofstra): 6-1, 6-4
3. Joseph Dube (Marist) def. Adrien Bailly (Hofstra): 6-3, 6-1
4. Fredrik Bjerke (Marist) def. Joe Erichsen (Hofstra): 6-1, 6-2
5. Trym Nagelstad (Marist) def. Pedro Gimenez (Hofstra): 6-1, 6-2
1. Bjerke/Nagelstad (Marist) def. Richman/Bailly (Hofstra): 8-4
2. Van Eck/Giudici (Marist) def. Gemmell/Gimenez (Hofstra): 8-1