Womenís Tennis Closes Spring Break Trip With 6-1 Victory Over Green Bay
ORLANDO, Fla. – The Marist women’s tennis team cruised to a decisive 6-1 win on Wednesday to defeat Green Bay and finish its Spring Break trip to Florida with a 2-1 mark. In a well-rounded team effort, sophomore Sabrina Tahir (Yonkers, N.Y.) led the Red Foxes with wins in both singles and doubles.
Tahir began her winning in doubles when she teamed with freshman Kaye Eastman (Grand Rapids, Mich.) to defeat Green Bay’s #2 team of Anderson and Londre, 8-6. Tahir would also find success at #5 singles where she beat Eleanor O’Brien in straight sets 6-0, 6-2.
In singles action, the Red Foxes won straight set matches at the first, second, third, fifth and sixth positions.
The senior duo of Joana Sun (Mansfield, Mass.) and Kelsey Raynor (Garden City, N.Y.) earned wins in #2 and #3 action with scores of 6-2, 6-1 and 6-3, 6-1, respectively. A pair of freshmen found equivalent success as Karly Pang (Kaneohe, Hawaii) and Nikki Rohan (Mountain Lakes, N.J.) won at #1 and #6 with scores of 6-1, 6-1 and 6-1, 6-0.
The Red Foxes be back in action on Tuesday, March 26 at home in a MAAC match versus Manhattan. The contest is slated to begin at 5 p.m.
Marist 6 vs. Green Bay 1 – March 20, 2013
At Orlando, Fla.
1. Nelson/Timm (GB) def. Pang/Sun, 9-8 (7-3)
2. Tahir/Eastman (MAR) def. Anderson/Londre, 8-6
3. Campbell/Seitz (MAR) def. O’Brien/Menos, 8-0
1. Karly Pang (MAR) def. Amanda Timm, 6-1, 6-1
2. Joana Sun (MAR) def. Stephanie Londre, 6-2, 6-1
3. Kelsey Raynor (MAR) def. Maria Anderson, 6-3, 6-1
4. Rebecca Nelson (GB) def. Marielle Campbell, 4-6, 6-4, 10-8
5. Sabrina Tahir (MAR) def. Eleanor O’Brien, 6-0, 6-2
6. Nikki Rohan (MAR) def. Rachael Menos, 6-1, 6-0