WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Marist men's tennis team took the court for the first time in nearly a month, defeating its Hudson Valley rival Army by a 4-3 score in a road dual match Sunday afternoon.
Marist grabbed a 1-0 lead by taking the doubles' point 2-1. After the freshman duo of Trym Nagelstad (Oslo, Norway) and Fredrik Bjerke (Oslo, Norway) dropped their match at the top spot, the pairing of Billy Bishop (Houston, Texas) and Dalen Klassen (St. Louis, Mo.) evened things up with an 8-5 victory. Joris Van Eck (Ospel, The Netherlands) and Matteo Giudici (Parma, Italy) clinched the point by defeating their opponent 8-6.
After the Red Foxes fell at the top singles' spot, Klassen won his singles' match, 6-0, 7-5, at the second singles' position to put Marist back ahead.
Van Eck also completed a perfect day with a 6-0, 6-2 win at fourth singles, putting the Red Foxes one point away from the win.
Joseph Dube (Livonia, Mich.) sealed the victory with a tough, three-set win, 6-1, 3-6, 6-0, at the sixth singles' position.
"This was a good win for us over a tough Army squad, especially as we haven't played for a while," head coach Tim Smith said. "I am extremely proud of the way our doubles' played today, particularly Matteo and Joris. Doubles has been a work-in-progress for us and they showed great improvement today."
Marist will play next weekend at the Yale 3-Way Tournament. On Saturday, the Red Foxes will take on Stony Brook and the host Bulldogs in two dual matches. They will also play Fairleigh Dickinson on Sunday to complete the weekend.
1. Isah/Mccormick (Army) def. Nagelstad/Bjerke (Marist): 8-3
2. Klassen/Bishop (Marist) def. Shelton/Mccasin (Army): 8-5
3 Van Eck/Giudici (Marist) def. John/Milsten (Army): 8-6
1. Isah (Army) def. Rossi (Marist): 6-3, 6-1
2. Klassen (Marist) def. Best (Army): 6-0, 7-5
3. Sienko (Army) def. Reznek (Marist): 4-6, 6-4, 12-10
4. Van Eck (Marist) def. Shelton (Army): 6-0, 6-2
5. McCormick (Army) def. Bjerke (Marist): 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
6. Dube (Marist) def. Cacha (Army): 6-1, 3-6, 6-0