POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. - Four different players registered hat tricks as the Marist men's lacrosse team opened its 2013 season with a come-from-behind 13-9 victory over Stony Brook Saturday afternoon at Tenney Stadium.

Jack Doherty (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) and Connor Rice (Penfield, N.Y.) each finished with five points on three goals and two assists. Jim Marks (Camillus, N.Y.) and Mike Begley (Brookeville, Md.) both also found the back of the net three times. Freshman Joseph Radin (Long Beach, N.Y.) scored his first career goal. Dave Scarcello (Buffalo, N.Y.) made 12 saves in net for Marist, including seven in the second half. Marist outscored Stony Brook 7-1 in the second half.

Marist (1-0) fell behind early as Stony Brook (0-1), the 2012 America East Champions, scored the first four goals of the game.

Marks finally got the Red Foxes on the board with a goal at the 2:43 mark of the first quarter off of an assist from Doherty. Rice followed up with an unassisted goal just 52 seconds later, coming from behind the net and putting in a high, short-side shot.

The Seawolves scored with 10 seconds remaining in the quarter to take a 5-2 lead.

Rice scored another unassisted goal 3:39 into the second quarter and Begley followed with his first tally 1:23 later to pull Marist within two at 6-4 with 9:58 remaining in the opening half.

Stony Brook scored just 12 seconds later to reclaim a three-goal lead, but Doherty was the beneficiary of being in the right place at the right time to score his first goal of the day. After making a save, Dan Shaughnessy, the Stony Brook goalie, went to make a clearing pass but hit Doherty's stick. The ball bounced back, through Shaughnessy's legs, and into the net to bring the score to 7-5 with 4:30 left in the second quarter.

After another Stony Brook score, Scarcello made a big save with 10 seconds left before halftime. Marist raced down the field and Marks found the back of the net with just two ticks remaining to bring the score to 8-6 at the midway point.

Radin scored his first career goal at the 10:50 mark of the third quarter, nearly one-timing in a pass from Rice. Just over a minute later, freshman Dillon Walker (Wawa, Pa.) fought through a crowd to get a ground ball and found Begley to knot the score at 8-8 with 9:11 left.

Rice completed his hat trick with 5:12 on the clock, on an assist from Gannon Osborn (Canandaigua, N.Y.), to give the Red Foxes their first lead of the afternoon. Begley completed the 5-0 run for Marist with his third score of the game with 3:19 left in the third quarter.

The Seawolves scored with 19 seconds left to make it a one goal game, 10-9, going into the fourth quarter.

Doherty scored twice and Marks added a third insurance goal, all coming in the final 5:35 of the quarter to provide the final margin. Scarcello made four saves in the period to eliminate any chance of a Stony Brook comeback.

Marist will next play on Saturday, Feb. 23 when Sacred Heart visits Tenney Stadium for a 1 p.m. contest.

Become a fan of Marist Athletics on Facebook at Facebook.com/GoRedFoxes and follow us on Twitter @MaristAthletics.