Womenís Tennis Loses Tight Road Battle At Albany 4-3
ALBANY, N.Y. - In the team's first match of the spring season, the Marist women's tennis team lost a tight contest on the road versus the University of Albany by a score of 4-3. Junior Marielle Campbell (Patterson, N.Y.) and sophomore Sabrina Tahir (Yonkers, N.Y.) led the Red Foxes with wins in both singles and doubles action.
After teaming up in doubles to defeat Albany's #3 pairing of Iannone and White, Campbell and Tahir found success again, this time in singles play. Tahir won her sixth singles match with ease as she swept Francine White, 6-0, 6-0. At the number five singles position, Campbell defeated Sarah Iannone in straight sets, 6-3, 7-5.
Senior Joana Sun (Mansfield, Mass.) was the third winner in singles action as she beat Albany's Mirelle Hermans 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (8). The hard-fought three set match was competed in the number two singles position.
The Red Foxes be off from completion for two weeks before jumping back into their spring slate with a February 16th meeting at Colgate.
UAlbany 4 vs. Marist 3 - Feb. 1, 2013
At Tri City, Latham, N.Y.
1. Scott/Lopez (Albany) def. Raynor/Sun 8-3
2. Hermans/Crummey (Albany) def. Eastman/Carlay 8-3
3. Tahir/Campbell (Marist) def. Iannone/White 8-0
1. Kirsten Scott (Albany) def. Kelsey Raynor 6-1, 3-2 (ret. inj.)
2. Joana Sun (Marist) def. Mireille Hermans 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (8)
3. Rocio Lopez (Albany) def. Kaye Eastman 6-0, 6-2
4. Cathryn Crummey (Albany) def. Melissa Carlay 6-3, 6-3
5. Marielle Campbell (Marist) def. Sarah Iannone 6-3, 7-5
6. Sabrina Tahir (Marist) def. Francine White 6-0, 6-0