POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. - In a hard fought game, the Marist men's basketball team was defeated by its rival to the north, Siena by a score of 79-75. In a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference game at McCann Arena hot shooting by the visitors and a long scoring streak during the latter portion of the first half led to the eventual win for the Saints (5-16, 3-7 MAAC).

The Red Foxes (5-16, 2-8 MAAC) were led by a quartet of double digit scorers as sophomore Chavaughn Lewis (Queens, N.Y.) netted a game-high 23 points, as well as eight rebounds. Senior Devin Price (Inglewood, Calif.) in his first game back from an ankle injury registered 18 points on the strength of four three-pointers. Sophomore Isaiah Morton (Vineland, N.J.) and junior Adam Kemp (Sherrill, N.Y.) rounded out the leading scorers for Marist with 15 and 11 points, respectively. Kemp augmented his scoring with 13 rebounds and four blocks.

The action started out fast and in favor of the host Red Foxes as they jumped out to a 14-4 lead over the first 5:21 of play. A well-rounded effort included points from four Marist players; led by Morton's five.

The Red Foxes would continue building on their lead as they slowly crept further away from Siena by the 11:40 mark. After back-to-back baskets, a three-pointer by Price and a layup by Morton, Marist would find itself up 13 at 23-10.

Unfortunately, for the Red Foxes, the hot shooting that steered them to that lead would fade and the frigidness of the Saints' offense would thaw. In a 4:58 span of play from 11:40 to 6:42, the Saints would turn that 13-point deficit into a 2-point margin of 27-25 via a 15-4 run.

Siena would extend their streak further down the stretch in the first half to a tune of 31-10. That run would give the Saints a 41-33 lead going into halftime.

For the half, Siena shot 63.6 percent (14-22) from the field versus 38.9 (14-36) for Marist.

In the second half, the teams would trade baskets for the initial portion of play before Siena built up their largest lead of the game of 15 at 66-51 at the 12:55 mark.

Undaunted, the Red Foxes would fight back with a 13-1 run. Kemp and Lewis would each net four points for Marist during the comeback.

With the game 67-64 with 8:27 left in regulation, Siena would fire back with a quick 6-0 response.

Down nine, Marist had one final rebuttal for the Saints, an 11-5 run from 7:00 to 00:40. Unfortunately, that would be the last gasp for the Red Foxes, who would fall by a final score of 79-75.

For the game, Siena outshot Marist, 54.9 (28-51) to 38.8 (26-67) percent from the field and 46.2 (6-13) to 30.4 (7-23) from three-point range. The Red Foxes won the battle on the glass 37-35 on the strength of 18 offensive boards. Of note, Siena's O.D. Anosike pulled down a game-high 21 rebounds to go along with 20 points.

Marist will be back on the court on Thursday, January 31 with a road matchup in Jersey City versus Saint Peter's. Tip-off for the game is scheduled for 7 p.m.