STORRS, CONN. - The Marist tennis team rallied for a 2-0 deficit to win its first dual match of the season Tuesday afternoon, 4-2, at the University of Connecticut.
After the Huskies swept the doubles' point and took the top singles' match, the Red Foxes (1-0) stormed back to win at second, third, fourth and fifth singles to win the match.
Will Reznek (Toronto, Canada) got the rally started by coming from behind to win in the second slot by a 4-6, 6-0, 6-4 score. Joris Van Eck (Ospel, The Netherlands) then swept his opponent at third singles, 6-3, 6-4.
Dalen Klassen (St. Louis, Mo.) and Joseph Dube (Livonia, Mich.) continued their strong fall seasons with straight set wins at the fourth and fifth positions. In sixth singles, Billy Bishop (Houston, Texas) was tied at five with his opponent in the third set but, with the outcome already decided, the match was called due to darkness.
"I am really pleased with the efforts of our guys, one through six," Marist Head Coach Tim Smith said. "Any time you beat a team from the Big East, it is exciting for the whole program."
The Red Foxes take back to the courts at the ITA Regionals this weekend. Play begins on Thursday with singles' pre-qualifying matches. Marist placed eight players into the tournament in both singles and doubles.
1. Spreyer (UConn) def. Rossi (Marist): 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2. Reznek (Marist) def. Lin (UConn): 4-6, 6-0, 6-4
3. Van Eck (Marist) def. Carr (UConn): 6-3, 6-4
4. Klassen (Marist) def. Harrell (UConn): 6-3, 6-1
5. Dube (Marist) def. Ginzbero (UConn): 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
6. Bishop (Marist) vs. Hosang (UConn): 2-6, 6-3 5-5 (stopped due to darkness)
1. Spreyer/Carr (UConn) def. Reznek/Giudici (Marist): 8-3
2. Lin/Harell (UConn) def. Bishop/Klassen (Marist): 8-5
3. McGee/Cohen (UConn) def. Rossi/Van Eck (Marist): 8-3