BALTIMORE - In a back and forth MAAC road game, the visiting Marist men's soccer team fell to Loyola 2-1 in overtime. Evenly matched throughout, the Greyhounds won in walk-off fashion with a golden goal with the 96th minute. Senior Stephan Brossard (Port Washington, N.Y.) netted Marist's goal with an unassisted tally in the 70th minute.

"It was a hard fought, evenly matched game" said Head Coach Matt Viggiano post-game. "We had our chances, but couldn't catch a break; between hitting the cross bar and having a ball cleared off the line, we could've got on the scoreboard earlier and more often."

The unlucky earlier scoring opportunities that Viggiano spoke of included an Anthony Rozmus (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) shot into the crossbar in the 11th minute and a header attempt by Nick Bramall (Newburgh, N.Y.) that got past Loyola's goalkeeper Thurman Van Riper, but was denied on the goal line by a Greyhound defender in the 23rd minute.

Brossard also netted two shots on goal in the first half as Marist kept on the offensive.

Junior goalkeeper Anthony Sokalski (London, Ontario) did his part defensively as he made three saves in opening period to keep the game scoreless.

At the break, Marist had a 9-6 advantage in shots; corner kick opportunities were tied at 4-4.

In the second half, Loyola quickly evened out the shots at 9-9 as the hosts registered the first three attempts, including a Stephen Dooley shot on goal in the 48th minute.

The back-and-forth manner of the game would eventually see Marist get its turn on offense. At 69:22, Brossard controlled the ball more than 40 yards out and dribbled into shooting range before unleashing a blistering shot from outside the 18-yard box past Van Riper.

After Emeka Nwachukwu (London, England) nearly put Marist up two goals a minute later, the Greyhounds marched down the field and earned a corner kick opportunity. At 71:10, Jamie Libby tied the score at 1-1 after heading in a Kevin Curran corner.

Down the stretch in the second half, the Red Foxes looked for the go-ahead goal and had multiple chances as they outshot Loyola 5-0 over the final 15:02 of regulation.

In the overtime period, a Gary Weisbaum header at 95:02 would give the Greyhounds the 2-1 golden goal and an important three-point win in MAAC play.

For the game, Marist finished with a 17-13 advantage in shots; both teams were tied with six shots on goal. Sokalski finished with four saves.

With the loss, the Red Foxes fall to 5-6-1 overall and 1-2 in the MAAC.

Post-game Viggiano remarked that "Coming out with a tie would have been a just result for the match. In the second half after we scored our goal, we unfortunately took a breath and Loyola took advantage. I have to give my guys credit; they continue fighting and being there until the final whistle. We have to keep plugging along and eventually we should start catching those breaks. We have to come out on Sunday and get a weekend split; the MAAC is so wide open, you just can't go winless on a weekend."

Marist will be continue MAAC action on Sunday, Oct. 14 when travel to Rider. Kickoff between the Red Foxes and Broncs is slated for 1 p.m.