POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. - Junior Rycke Guiney (Naperville, Ill.) of the Marist women's soccer team was honored for her efforts the past week as she was named to the CollegeSoccer360.com Primetime Performers of the Week.
In a tough stretch of three games versus strong opposition in five days, Guiney raised her level of play and led the Red Foxes with three goals. At #22 UConn on Wednesday, Sept. 7, the junior netted her goal off of an in-swinging corner kick in the 73rd minute. She closed her week of play with a two-goal outing at home versus Hofstra on Sunday. In both instances, she used powerful shots from outside the 18-yd box to beat the opposing goalkeeper, including a free kick from 30 yards out in the 54th minute.
Guiney was one of ten players named to the team across the nation and was joined by the likes of student-athletes from Duke, North Carolina, Stanford and Texas A&M, amongst other top-rated Division 1 women's soccer programs.
This honor continues an award-winning week for Guiney and the Red Foxes as on Tuesday, she and four teammates were recognized on TopDrawerSoccer's Top 20 list of MAAC players. Guiney was ranked sixth, while Amanda Epstein (Jericho, N.Y.) was second, Jessica Arabia (Naperville, Ill.) seventh, Chelsea Botta (East Longmeadow, Mass.) tenth and Caitlin Landsman (Burke, Va.) 15th.
The Red Foxes will be back in action on Friday, Sept. 14 when they travel to Bethlehem, Pa. to take on the Lehigh Mountain Hawks in a 7 p.m. matchup.
About CollegeSoccer360's Primetime Player Awards
... Selection for the Division I women's CS360 weekly awards is based on any/all of the following:
- Performed at a high level in a game that is key to the team's postseason achievements, typically in a game involving a top-50 team from the CS360 Composite National Rankings (or in a game involving a conference favorite from a league not represented in the CS360 top-50).
- In general, preference is given based on the quality of the opponent, contribution to team success and other situational factors involved in the player's accomplishments.
- Exhibited strong leadership and/or involved in clutch performances, such as game-winning goals, noteworthy comebacks, late scores, momentum-shifting play, all-around performance, team spirit, etc.
- Overcame adversity or extreme circumstances (for the team and/or individual).
- Bonus consideration is given for key performances away from team's home field and/or against a traditional rival.