Fairfield Tops Marist In MAAC Menís Tennis Final, 4-3
WEST WINDSOR, N.J. - The top-seeded Marist men's tennis team suffered a 4-3 loss to second-seeded Fairfield in the 2012 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Men's Tennis Championship final on Sunday at Mercer County Park.
Fairfield started the match by winning the doubles point, and the teams split the six singles matches. The final match decided was first singles, as Fairfield's Dan Sauter defeated Marist's Lorenzo Rossi (Lugano, Switzerland) in three sets, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4.
The Red Foxes' singles winners were senior Matt Himmelsbach (Longmeadow, Mass.) at number three, sophomore Will Reznek (Toronto, Canada) at fourth singles, and sophomore Dalen Klassen (St. Louis, Mo.) in the sixth spot. Himmelsbach, Renzek, and Klassen all prevailed in straight sets, with Himmelsbach dropping just one game in his match.
Marist was seeking its fifth consecutive MAAC championship, and 10th in program history. The Red Foxes' season concludes at 15-6.
1. Dan Sauter (FFD) def. Lorenzo Rossi (MAR) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Ian Tesmond (FFD) def. Joris Van Eck (MAR) 6-4, 6-2
3. Matt Himmelsbach (MAR) def. Joe Michalisin (FFD) 6-1, 6-0
4. Will Reznek (MAR) def. Dennis Zlobinsky (FFD) 6-3, 6-2
5. Erik Kremheller (FFD) def. Joseph Dube (MAR) 6-3, 6-2
6. Dalen Klassen (MAR) def. Cameron Amyot (FFD) 6-2, 6-2