WEST WINDSOR, N.J. - The second-seeded Marist women's tennis team defeated third-seeded Loyola by a score of 4-3 in the semifinal round of the 2012 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Women's Tennis championship on Saturday at Mercer County Park.
With the win, the Red Foxes will face top-seeded Fairfield in a rematch of last year's championship match, which Marist won 4-3. The match will take place on Sunday at noon. The appearance in the final is Marist's third in a row, and seventh in the last eight years. A win would put the Red Foxes in the NCAA Tournament for the fourth time, as they also qualified in 2007, 2008 and 2011.
Despite the tandem of junior Kelsey Raynor (Garden City, N.Y.) and senior Erin McCarthy (Salem, N.J.) winning at first doubles, Loyola took two of the three doubles matches to earn the single point there. Marist won four of the six singles matches to earn the necessary four points to advance. Raynor, sophomore Marielle Campbell (Patterson, N.Y.) and freshman Sabrina Tahir (Yonkers, N.Y.) all won their matches in three sets, with Tahir prevailing 7-5 in the third set. McCarthy won in straight sets.
Marist, which has won its last four matches, is now 10-7 this season.
1. Kelsey Raynor (MAR) def. Rachel Janasek (LOY) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2. Erin McCarthy (MAR) def. Scarlett Hoy (LOY) 6-2, 7-5
3. Sabrina Fedele (LOY) def. Joana Sun (MAR) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Marielle Campbell (MAR) def. Tiffany Ash (LOY) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Sabrina Tahir (MAR) def. Judy Lite (LOY) 6-7, 6-3, 7-5
6. Jackie Lionetta (LOY) def. Kayla O'Donovan (MAR) 6-2, 6-3