Marist Menís Tennis Defeats Saint Peterís, Advances to MAAC Final
WEST WINDSOR, N.J. - The Marist men's tennis team defeated Saint Peter's 6-1 in the semifinal round of the 2012 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Men's Tennis Championship on Saturday at Mercer County Park.
Marist (15-5), the top seed in the tournament, will face second-seeded Fairfield on Sunday at 9 a.m. in the championship match. The Red Foxes have now won 10 straight matches.
Marist swept the doubles matches to earn the doubles point, and then won five of the six singles matches. All five Red Foxes who were victorious in singles - sophomore Lorenzo Rossi (Lugano, Switzerland) at first, senior Matt Himmelsbach (Longmeadow, Mass.) at second, freshman Joseph Dube (Livonia, Mich.) at fourth, sophomore Dalen Klassen (St. Louis, Mo.) and junior Billy Bishop (Houston, Texas) at sixth - won in straight sets.
"Any time you get to the final of any tournament, you have to be thankful and excited," Marist Head Coach Tim Smith said. "We've put sides on the house, and now we have to put the roof on. Our guys are looking forward to playing Fairfield again."
A win on Sunday would put Marist in the NCAA Tournament for the fifth straight year, and 10th time in program history.
1. Lorenzo Rossi (MAR) def. Alex Frakes (SPC) 6-1, 6-3
2. Matt Himmelsbach (MAR) def. Sebastian Barbero (SPC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Charles Carrera (SPC) def. Will Reznek (MAR) 6-4, 3-6, 11-9
4. Joe Dube (MAR) def. Luccas Coutinho (SPC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Dalen Klassen (MAR) def. Fabian Valdiviezo (SPC) 6-4, 6-0
6. Billy Bishop (MAR) def. N. Goulart de Lima (SPC) 6-2, 6-3
1. Matt Himmelsbach/Matteo Guidici (MAR) def. Alex Frakes/Sebastian Barbero (SPC) 8-6