BALTIMORE, Md. - The Marist men's tennis team won their 25th consecutive Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) match with a 6-1 victory at Loyola (Md.) on Sunday.
After sweeping the three doubles matches to take the point, the Red Foxes (11-5, 5-0 MAAC) took five out of the six singles matches. Lorenzo Rossi (Lugano, Switzerland), Matt Himmelsbach (Longmeadow, Mass.), Dalen Klassen (St. Louis, Mo.) and Billy Bishop (Houston, Texas) all won their individual matches in straight sets. Joseph Dube (Livonia, Mich.) also added a singles' victory, winning in three sets.
"We competed well against Loyola today and we are now one win away from reaching one of our team goals which is winning the MAAC Regular Season Championship," head coach Tim Smith said. "Kudos to Dalen Klassen for winning both his singles and doubles' matches."
Marist will conclude their conference schedule with a match at Rider on Monday beginning at 3 p.m. It is a rescheduled match from a postponement in the fall.
1. Rossi (M) def. Sanai (L): 6-1, 6-1
2. Himmelsbach (M) def. Norton (L): 7-5, 6-1
3. Zingler (L) def. Reznek (M): 6-2, 3-6, 6-10
4. Dube (M) def. Gorczakowski (L): 6-2, 3-6, 10-4
5. Klassen (M) def. Lisco (L): 6-0, 6-1
6. Bishop (M) def. Kunkel (L): 6-1, 6-1
1. Himmelsbach/Giudici (M) def. Norton/Zingler (L): 8-2
2. Rossi/Van Eck (M) def. Sanai/Gorczakowski (L): 8-4
3. Dube/Bishop (M) def. Lisco/Glaessner (L): 8-5