Menís Tennis Defeats Big East Foe UConn 5-2
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. - The Marist men's tennis team concluded a four-game home stand Tuesday afternoon with their third straight win, 5-2 over the University of Connecticut.
The Red Foxes (9-5, 4-0 MAAC) won five out of the six singles matches to begin the day and clinch the win. Lorenzo Rossi (Lugano, Switzerland), who during the match was named the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Player of the Week for the second consecutive week, easily defeated his opponent at the first singles position 6-0, 6-4, to get things started for Marist. They also got wins from Matt Himmelsbach (Longmeadow, Mass.), Joseph Dube (Livonia, Mich.), Dalen Klassen (St. Louis, Mo.) and Billy Bishop (Houston, Texas).
The Huskies won two out of the three doubles matches to win the point, but Marist had already taken the match. Klassen and Bishop teamed up for the Red Foxes' lone doubles' win at the third spot.
"It's always good when you beat a Big East team," Marist head coach Tim Smith said. "We had a number of good matches and I was very pleased with the play of Dalen Klassen today in both singles and doubles."
The Red Foxes are back on the court on Wednesday when they travel to Hartford for a non-conference match beginning at 3 p.m.
1. Rossi (M) def. Warden (C): 6-0, 6-4
2. Himmelsbach (M) def. Spreyer (C): 6-3, 7-6 (5)
3. Adams (C) def. Reznek (M): 6-4, 7-6 (5)
4. Dube (M) def. Lin (C): 6-4, 6-1
5. Klassen (M) def. Carr (C): 6-1, 6-1
6. Bishop (M) def. Palmer (C): 6-3, 6-2
1. Warden/Spreyer (C) def. Rossi/Himmelsbach (M): 8-4
2. Adams/Lin (C) def. Reznek/Sims (M): 8-5
3. Bishop/Klassen (M) def. Carr/Burns (C): 9-7