Red Foxes Win MAAC Tennis Battle, 4-3 Over Fairfield
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. - The Marist men's tennis team won a rematch of the past four Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) championships, defeating Fairfield 4-3 Thursday afternoon at the Marist Tennis Pavilion.
After the Stags swept the doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead, Marist (8-5, 3-0 MAAC) took the next four points in singles action to secure the win. Lorenzo Rossi (Lugano, Switzerland) came back from an early 4-1 deficit in the first set at the first singles position to win the decisive fourth point, 6-4, 6-2.
With the overall match already in hand, Joris Van Eck (Ospel, The Netherlands) and Matt Himmelsbach (Longmeadow, Mass.) lost tough three-set matches to their opponents at the second and third singles spots, respectively.
"I like the way our guys competed at singles today, but we have a long way to go with our doubles," Marist head coach Tim Smith said. "This win puts us in good position to win the conference and have a top seed in the MAAC Tournament."
The Red Foxes will complete their four-match home stand when they host the University of Connecticut in a non-conference match on Tuesday at 3 p.m.
1. Rossi (M) def. Sauter (F): 6-4, 6-2
2. Tesmond (F) def. Van Eck (M): 6-7(5), 6-2, (10-5)
3. Michalisin (F) def. Himmelscbach (M): 6-2, 1-6, 6-2
4. Reznek (M) def. Zlobinsky (F): 6-0, 6-3
5. Dube (M) def. Kremheller (F): 6-1, 6-1
6. Klassen (M) def. Amyot (F): 6-3, 6-1
1. Sauter/Zlobinsky (F) def. Rossi/Himmelsbach (M): 8-2
2. Michalisin/Kremheller (F) def. Bishop/Klassen (M): 8-4
3. Tesmond/Amyot (F) def. Reznek/Van Eck (M): 8-5