Womenís Tennis Loses Battle With Quinnipiac & Falls To Army In Non-Conference Action
WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Marist women's tennis team kicked off the non-conference portion its spring 2012 schedule this weekend with a pair of matches at the United States Military Academy's Lichtenberg Tennis Center. On Friday, the Red Foxes lost a tight battle with Quinnipiac by a score of 4-3. On Saturday, the Black Knights of Army won by a score of 6-1 over Marist. Junior Kelsey Raynor (Garden City, N.Y.) highlighted the Red Foxes' weekend with a number one singles win on Saturday and a doubles victory on Friday.
On Friday, the Red Foxes lost a back-and-forth competition with the Bearcats of Quinnipiac. A tight doubles point was earned by Quinnipiac to begin the match. The Bearcats won first doubles 8-5, while Marist's team of senior Erin McCarthy (Salem, N.J.) and Raynor won the second doubles 8-5. The Quinnipiac team of Launie and Cristescu won the team point with a 8-6 victory over senior Kayla O'Donovan (Lynbrook, N.Y.) and sophomore Marielle Campbell (Patterson, N.Y.)
In singles action, Campbell earned Marist's fastest point as she won fifth singles in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3 over Ariana Launie. McCarthy and freshman Sabrina Tahir (Yonkers, N.Y.) also produced single victories for the Red Foxes, though they both had to overcome first set defeats before eventually winning in three. McCarthy won second singles, 1-6, 6-4 and 6-3 over Jacqueline Raynor, while Tahir was victorious in fourth singles over Michelle Dassa, 2-6, 7-6 (7-5) and 12-10.
A three set victory in number six singles by Lavinia Cristescu over O'Donovan gave Quinnipiac the 4-3 win.
On Saturday, Marist was back in action at Army when it faced off with the host Black Knights. Army started off early with the doubles point. Marist's number one pairing of Raynor and McCarthy pushed Army's team of Elle and Della Taylor into a tie-breaker before falling by a final score of 8-7(7-5).
Coming off of her strong doubles performance, Raynor highlighted the Red Foxes' effort in singles action as she won in straight sets over Margaret Iliev, 6-3, 6-3 at first singles.
Campbell's play at fifth singles was the squad's best chance to claim a second point from singles as she pushed Larraine Saavedra into a third set. Following a 6-3 loss of the first set, the sophomore countered with a 7-5 victory in set two. In the third set tie-breaker, Saavedra pulled away for a 10-5 win.
Army earned five wins in singles play to win the match by a score of 6-1.
The Red Foxes (1-2) will be off until next Sunday, March 11 when they begin Spring Break action in Orlando versus Bethune Cookman.
Marist vs Quinnipiac - 3/2/12
At Lichtenberg Tennis Center, West Point, N.Y.
1. Cantor/Viebrock(QUIN) def. Tahir/Sun, 8-5
2. Raynor/McCarthy (MAR) def. Raynor/Dassa, 8-5
3. Launie/Cristescu (QUIN) def. Campbell/O'Donovan, 8-6
1. Rachel Cantor (QUIN) def. Kelsey Raynor, 6-3, 6-2
2. Erin McCarthy (MAR) def. Jacqueline Raynor, 1-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Sarah Viebrock (QUIN) def. Joana Sun, 6-3, 6-3
4. Sabrina Tahir (MAR) def. Michelle Dassa, 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 12-10
5. Marielle Campbell (MAR) def. Ariana Launie, 6-4, 6-3
6. Lavinia Cristescu (QUIN) def. Kayla O'Donovan, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
Marist at Army - 3/3/12
1. D.Taylor/E.Taylor (ARMY) def. Raynor/McCarthy, 8-7(7-5)
2. Riney/Saavedra (ARMY) def. Sun/O'Donovan, 8-1
3. Paul/Pope (ARMY) def. Campbell/Tahir, 8-4
1. Kelsey Raynor (MAR) def. Margaret Iliev, 6-3, 6-3
2. Della Taylor (ARMY) def. Erin McCarthy, 6-3, 6-1
3. Elle Taylor (ARMY) def. Joana Sun, 6-2, 7-6(7-3)
4. Alyssa Gleason (ARMY) def. Sabrina Tahir, 6-0, 6-3
5. Larraine Saavedra (ARMY) def. Marielle Campbell, 6-3, 5-7, 10-5
6. Maya Parker (ARMY) def. Tessa Lewis, 6-0, 6-0