Womenís Tennis Opens Spring 2012 Season With 5-2 Win Over Saint Peterís
JERSEY CITY, N.J. - The Marist women's tennis team began its 2012 campaign with a strong road performance at MAAC league foe Saint Peter's on Saturday afternoon. The Red Foxes defeated the Peahens by a score of 5-2. Senior Erin McCarthy (Salem, N.J.) led a quartet of Red Foxes, who won both their singles and doubles matches.
Marist began its afternoon by earning the doubles point with a 3-0 sweep. The first doubles team of junior Kelsey Raynor (Garden City, N.Y.) and McCarthy defeated Saint Peter's Alexandria Livingston and Joniesa Williams, 8-3. The second doubles team junior Joana Sun (Gales Ferry, Conn.) and freshman Sabrina Tahir (Yonkers, N.Y.) won in 8-2 fashion. Sophomore Marielle Campbell (Patterson, N.Y.) and freshman Tessa Lewis (Lewiston, N.Y.) won third doubles by a score of 8-3.
After that fast start, the Red Foxes carried their momentum over to singles action, where they collected four victories. McCarthy led off the winning with a 6-2, 6-0 decision in the number two singles match versus Saint Peter's Adina Halagian. Sun won her number three singles match versus Williams by a score of 7-5, 6-2.
Tahir and senior Kayla O'Donovan (Lynbrook, N.Y.) rounded out the victories with wins in fourth and sixth singles action. Tahir won her match over Ivana Grbelja in straight sets at 6-0, 6-3. O'Donovan cruised in her match and didn't drop a point versus Vanessa Vogel, 6-0, 6-0.
Marist will return to action on Friday, March 2 against Quinnipiac in a neutral site matchup at West Point.
Marist at Saint Peter's - 2/25/12
1. Raynor/McCarthy (MAR) def. Livingston/Williams, 8-3
2. Sun/Tahir (MAR) def. Brady/Halagian, 8-2
3. Campbell/Lewis (MAR) def. Grbelja/Nowogrodzki, 8-3
1. Alexandria Livingston (SPC) def. Kelsey Raynor, 6-0, 6-2
2. Erin McCarthy (MAR) def. Adina Halagian, 6-2, 6-0
3. Joana Sun (MAR) def. Joniesa Williams, 7-5, 6-2
4. Sabrina Tahir (MAR) def. Ivana Grbelja, 6-0, 6-3
5. Jemila Brady (SPC) def. Marielle Campbell, 7-5, 6-4
6. Kayla O'Donovan (MAR) def. Vanessa Vogel, 6-0, 6-0