POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. - In a hard-fought home game on Saturday versus George Mason, the Marist women's lacrosse fell by a 10-9 final score. A tight contest throughout, a 6-1 goal run by the visiting Patriots in the second half turned a 7-4 Marist lead into a 10-8 George Mason advantage. The Red Foxes would try to rally late, but would come up short as their game-tying shot on goal as the buzzer rang was denied by the Patriot goalkeeper. Junior Tierney Larson (Fairfield, Conn.) led the offense with a game-high five assists; senior Amanda Tuck (Mamaroneck, N.Y.) netted a team-high three goals.

Marist sprung out to an early 1-0 lead just 18 seconds into the game as Larson found sophomore Kirsten Viscount (Smithtown, N.Y.) with a quick pass from behind the cage.

Less than five minutes later a 24:55, Larson once again set up a one-timer shot and goal with a pass from behind; this time Tuck was the beneficiary.

Down 2-0, the Patriots answered back with a two-goal run to even the score.

Marist would close the half with two goals in the final 7:36 of play as Tuck notched her second tally from Larson at 7:36 and Jamie Romano (Kings Park, N.Y.) registered her first of the day at 2:21.

With the score 4-2, the Patriots quickly came out in the second half cut their deficit to one at 28:46 with a Katie Mascolo goal.

Two consecutive markers by Ashley Miller (Montville, N.J.) at 27:28 and 24:14 would give Marist some breathing room at 6-3.

A swift trading of goals at 22:08 by George Mason's Caitlin Formato and at 21:52 by Marist's Viscount would keep the margin at three.

The tight action would continue throughout the half, but the Patriots would be able to convert four straight goals to take their first lead of the game at 8-7 with 13:43 left in regulation.

A swapping of goals by Marist's Amanda Tuck and George Mason's Allie Hilderbrandt with a 39 second span of play at 11:25 to 10:46 would keep it a one goal game at 9-8.

The scoreboard would be locked in at 9-8 over the next 8:48 as Marist withstood multiple attempts by the Patriots to extend their lead. Sophomore goalkeeper Liz Holmes (Longmeadow, Mass.), who was called upon as an injury replacement, thwarted two George Mason shots, including a Formato free-position shot that was ripped from eight yards out.

The Patriots' Rachel Obregon added an important insurance goal at 1:58 to make it 10-8.

Recognizing the pressure, Romano won the next draw control for Marist, her eighth of the day, and the Red Foxes drew a free-position attempt with 98 seconds remaining. Unfortunately for the home team, GMU's goalkeeper Caroline Brouse denied Miller's free-position shot.

After a Formato shot rang off the crossbar, Marist had possession once again and had 62 seconds to net two goals.

A connection between Viscount and freshman Allison Gionta (Eastport, N.Y.) with 39 seconds left started the rally. After a successful draw control win by Viscount, the Red Foxes would have one more chance to tie the game. With less than five seconds to go, Romano darted through the fan and took a shot on goal only to see Brouse make her sixth and final save of the game to hold onto the 10-9 victory for George Mason.

For the game, the Patriots outshot the Red Foxes 31-24 with a 17-15 advantage in shots on goal. Though Marist lost the turnover battle 18-7, they were kept in the game by a 13-8 lead in draw controls. The Red Foxes won the ground ball battle 23-20 with Larson and Christine Astarita (Kennett Square, Pa.) collecting a team-high four each.

This was the first-ever matchup between the two programs.

The Red Foxes will be heading out on a two-game road trip to Florida over the next five days, as they play at Jacksonville on Tuesday, March 19 at 12 p.m. and at Stetson on Thursday, March 21 at 6 p.m.