(10-6, 4-2 MAAC)
  1st 2nd 3rd 4th F
 #3 Marist
 #1 Monmouth
1  2    9

Box Score | Potsgame Video

(14-3, 6-0 MAAC) 
 Marist Drops One-Goal Game To Monmouth In MAAC Championship Final  
 Stat Comparison #3 Marist  #1 Monmouth
 Goals 9
 Shots 26  42 
 Assists 3
 Faceoffs 10-21  11-21 
 Caused Turnovers
 Ground Balls 17  22 
 Man Up 0-2  1-3 
 Turnovers 12  11
 Saves 13  12 
 Individual Leaders
 Stat  #3 Marist  #1 Monmouth
 Goals  Morrison, 3  Three with 2
 Assists  Tierney, and Morrison,1  Keen, 2
 Faceoffs  Galioto, 10-21  Schwenk, 10-20
 Caused Turnovers  Nye and Sarrocco, 2  Six with 1
 Ground Balls  Faiella and Nye, 4  Ruppert and Vanderbeek, 3
 Saves  Corrigan, 13  Hreshko, 12

POUGHKEEPSIE, New York - The Marist men's lacrosse team suffered a narrow 9-8 loss to top seeded Monmouth in the 2017 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Championship game on May 7 in Tenney Stadium. The Red Foxes ended their season 10-6 overall after competing in their fourth straight conference final.

Junior Gannon Morrison had a hat trick and an assist while redshirt junior Brian Corrigan made 13 saves. Senior Ralph Faiella scooped up four ground balls to tie a game high before he was selected to the All-Championship Team. He represented Marist along with junior Matt Galioto, who went 10-for-21 on faceoffs and collected three ground balls.

In the first 20 minutes junior Kyle Quinn hit the back of the net a couple times to cut the Monmouth lead to 3-2 in the second quarter. Both sides prolonged possessions and the Hawks built an edge that stretched to as many as four goals in the period. Morrison began to chip away with his first score of the day at the 5:04 mark and it was 6-3 in the Hawks' favor by halftime.

Marist outscored Monmouth 4-1 in the third quarter to begin its comeback. Morrison fed junior Mitchell Standera quickly off the faceoff to make it a one-goal lead for Monmouth before freshman Joe Tierney sprinted around the cage and fired a shot past the goalie's right hand side at 6:21. The Red Foxes' score gave Tierney a point in his 16th consecutive game and tied the contest at six apiece. With 2:02 to go Standera gave Marist its first lead, but Monmouth evened the scoreboard for the third and final time on its next possession, sending three shots wide of the net before sneaking one in.  

Down by two with a minute to go in the fourth quarter, the Red Foxes continued to claw back as Morrison dodged to point blank range coming out of a Marist timeout and scored to make it 9-8. The Red Foxes had one more chance as the clock wound down, but didn't connect on a pass in front.

Monmouth senior Tyler Keen racked up four points on a pair of goals and two assists while senior Nick Hreshko sprawled for 12 saves and caused a turnover. The Hawks outshot Marist 42-26 and improved to 14-3 overall.         

Marist's graduating class this year played in the MAAC Championship game each year of their career. J.D. Recor ended his career as the all-time conference and Marist leader with 131 assists and second all-time in program history with 222 points.