OLEAN, New York – The Marist men’s tennis team earned a 4-0 victory over St. Bonaventure Sunday afternoon in non-conference action. The Red Foxes are now 12-2 overall.
“Another solid matchup for us that was closer than the final score will indicate,” said head coach Tim Smith. “Our third doubles teamed played very well together especially for being matched up for the first time.”
Gianlucca Massa and Javier Restrepo beat Lukas Linden and Guillermo Garcia, 6-3. Jan Dernic and Christopher Gladden then picked up a win from the third doubles spot against Hristo Hristov and John Rutkowski, 6-0.
“Special Kudos to Jan Dernic, this is the best he’s played since he started at Marist and it’s exciting to see the results,” said Smith. “Javier also caused trouble for the other team thanks to his tenacious and focused play.”
In singles play, Restrepo defeated Blanco, 6-3, 6-4, Chanthalangsy defeated Linden, 6-4, 6-4, and Gladden won his second match of the day, defeating Garcia, 6-4, 6-2.
Marist returns to action on Tuesday on the road against Farifield.
Marist at St. Bonaventure
1. Javier Restrepo (MARM) def. Victor Blanco (STBON) 6-3, 6-4
2. Hector Martinez (STBON) vs. Gianlucca Massa (MARM) unfinished
3. Justin Chanthalangsy (MARM) def. Lukas Linden Malmber (STBON) 6-4, 6-4
4. Christopher Gladden (MARM) def. Guillermo Garcia (STBON) 6-4, 6-2
5. John Rutkowski (STBON) vs. Dylan Fletcher (MARM) unfinished
6. Hristo Hristov (STBON) vs. Lars Schouten (MARM) unfinished