POUGHKEEPSIE, New York – The Marist women’s tennis team split its matches against Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference foes Saint Peter’s and Siena on Sunday afternoon. The Red Foxes first defeated Saint Peter’s 7-0 before falling to Siena by the same margin. The Red Foxes are now 6-4 overall and 3-1 in conference play.
In the Red Foxes first match the team took control winning all three doubles matches to secure the doubles point. Ariel Shulman and Amy Galloway defeated Lucia Radovic and Malieva Hedberg, 6-3. Chloe Lant and Sophia Moeller defeated Elena Puigventos and Claudia Hellman, 6-3 and Callie Morlcok and Claire Schmitz defeated Aidah Muhammad and Azuri Hughes, 6-0.
In singles play, Shulman, Schmitz, Moeller, Galloway, Morlock, and Brozovich all picked up singles wins with five out of the six matches only lasting two sets.
Against Siena, the Red Foxes ran into a team that is currently undefeated. The Saints have now started the season 14-0 after today’s match. Morlock and Schmitz took the only match of the day off Siena, winning in doubles against Anessa Leyva and Julianna Goehner, 6-3, but fell in the other two doubles matches dropping the point. Siena would go on to win from all six singles positions and take the victory.
Up next, the Red Foxes will continue MAAC play with a road match at Niagara on Saturday, April 8th.
Marist vs Saint Peter’s
1. Ariel Shulman (MARW) def. Lucia Radovic (SPUW) 6-3, 6-0
2. Claire Schmitz (MARW) def. Elena Puigventos (SPUW) 6-1, 6-3
3. Sophia Moeller (MARW) def. Malieva Hedberg (SPUW) 6-7, 6-3, 10-5
4. Amy Galloway (MARW) def. Claugia Hellman (SPUW) 6-3, 6-1
5. Callie Morlock (MARW) def. Christian Resurrecci (SPUW) 6-0, 6-3
6. Elizabeth Brozovich (MARW) def. Aidah Muhammad (SPUW) 6-1, 6-2
Marist vs Siena
1. Garrity, Ali (SIEW) def. Chloe Lant (MARW) 6-2, 6-1
2. Boberic, Ivana (SIEW) def. Ariel Shulman (MARW) 3-6, 6-4, 5-0
3. Fukamachi, Mitsuki (SIEW) def. Claire Schmitz (MARW) 6-1, 6-2
4. Weaver, Natalie (SIEW) def. Sophia Moeller (MARW) 6-3, 6-1
5. Sakai, Rina (SIEW) def. Callie Morlock (MARW) 6-1, 6-3
6. Leyva, Anessa (SIEW) def. Elizabeth Brozovich (MARW) 3-6, 6-4, 7-0