NEW HAVEN, Connecticut – The Marist men’s tennis team completed its weekend at the Yale 4-way invitational Sunday morning and afternoon. The Red Foxes completed their match against no. 47 Yale and played a full match against a tough Stony Brook team. Marist split the two matches, falling to Yale and defeating Stony Brook, and now stand 6-2 on the season.
“We had a great win against Stony Brook today taking the doubles point and going on to win 4-1,” assistant coach Derek DiFazio said. “Stony Brook has a stronger team this year and although Javier and Justin looked to be turning their matches around we were happy to clinch the match and head back to Marist with a win.”
The Red Foxes dropped just their second match of the season to a ranked Yale Bulldogs to start the morning. A bright spot for Marist in the loss was the play of Dylan Fletcher. Fletcher defeated Yale’s Dennis Wang, 7-5, 6-4 to put a point on the board for Marist against a nationally ranked opponent.
After the morning session, the Red Foxes then went on to compete against Stony Brook. Marist took the doubles point to start the match, winning at the no. 1 and no. 3 positions.
Marist then went on into singles play and controlled the decisive matches their as well. Fletcher won his second match of the day, defeating Rohan at the no. 5 singles spot, 6-1, 6-3. Lars Schouten won for the no. 6 spot against Finn Kemper, 6-3, 6-1 and Gladden closed out the match with a straight set, 6-4, 6-4 victory over Tyler Hoffman.
Up next the Red Foxes will return home and host their first matches of the season against Georgetown on Saturday, March 25 and then Boston University on Sunday, Mar 26.
Marist at No. 47 Yale
1. #65 Tyler Lu (YALE) def. Javier Restrepo (MARM) 6-1, 6-4
2. Ziqi Wang (YALE) def. Rudolf Kurz (MARM) 6-4, 7-5
3. Dylan King (YALE) def. Gianlucca Massa (MARM) 6-3, 6-4
4. Stefan Doehler (YALE) def. Justin Chanthalangsy (MARM) 6-3, 6-1
5. Ryan Cheng (YALE) def. Christopher Gladden (MARM) 6-4, 6-1
6. Dylan Fletcher (MARM) def. Dennis Wang (YALE) 7-5, 6-4
Marist vs Stony Brook at Yale
1. Raphael Termat (SBU) vs. Javier Restrepo (MARM) 2-6, 6-3, unfinished
2. Samuel Taieb (SBU) def. Rudolf Kurz (MARM) 6-3, 6-3
3. Hadlich (SBU) vs. Justin Chanthalangsy (MARM) 4-6, 6-5, unfinished
4. Christopher Gladden (MARM) def. Tyler Hoffman (SBU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Dylan Fletcher (MARM) def. Hari Rohan (SBU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Lars Schouten (MARM) def. Finn Kemper (SBU) 6-3, 6-1