HEMPSTEAD, New York – The Marist women’s tennis team started its spring portion of the schedule with a 5-2 win over the Hofstra Pride Saturday evening in Hempstead, New York.
The Red Foxes were able to take two doubles matches to earn the overall doubles point and then win at four different singles positions to seal the win.
Chloe Lant and Sophia Moeller teamed up to defeat Hofstra’s D’Asha Davis and Carmen Pestano, 6-3. Ariel Shulman and Elizabeth Brozovich then secured the doubles point with a 6-4 win over Giulia Leone and Disha Yellavi.
In singles play, Lant won for the second time when she defeated Hofstra’s Jasmine King, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3. Shulman also picked up her second win of the day defeting her Pride opponent in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0.
Claire Schmitz picked up her fist win as she defeated Davis, 6-2, 6-1 and Moeller doubled up on her earlier victory with a 6-7, 6-3, 10-3 win over Hofstra’s Leone.
The Red Foxes will next head to Providence to take on the Friars at Centre Court Tennis on Friday, February 10.
Marist at Hofstra
1. Chloe Lant (MARW) def. Jasmine King (HOFSTRA) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
2. Ariel Shulman (MARW) def. Sarah Catherin Hernd (HOFSTRA) 6-1, 6-0
3. Claire Schmitz (MARW) def. D'Asha Davis (HOFSTRA) 6-2, 6-1
4. Carmen Pestano (HOFSTRA) def. Callie Morlock (MARW) 6-1, 7-5
5. Disha Yellayj (HOFSTRA) def. Elizabeth Brozovich (MARW) 6-0, 6-0
6. Sophia Moeller (MARW) def. Giulia Leone (HOFSTRA) 6-7, 6-3, 10-3