HEMPSTEAD, New York – The Marist men’s tennis team picked up its second win of the season with a 7-0 defeat of the Hofstra Pride Saturday evening at the Point Set Racquet Club in Hempstead, New York.
“I thought our guys performed very well today,” said head coach Tim Smith. “The Score was not indicative of the play with the two and five spots being very competitive.”
The Red Foxes won from the first and third spots in doubles play to take the doubles point to start. Justin Chanthalangsy and Dylan Fletcher teamed up to defeat Hofstra’s duo, 6-3. Rudolf Kurz and Christopher Gladden then won from the third doubles spot as they defeated Hofstra’s David Schrott and Nick Silvestri, 6-2.
Marist continued its strong play in singles as Javier Restrepo picked up a win at the one spot in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0 against Hofstra’s Marcus Smith. Kurz then earned his second point of the day as he defeated the Prides’ Niko Vulinovich, 6-3, 6-3 from the second spot.
Dylan Fletcher won the Red Foxes last singles match in convincing fashion, defeating Hofstra’s Silvestri, 6-2, 6-1.
Next up the Red Foxes will face Wagner and Fordham (Feb. 19) before taking on Stony Brook (Mar. 10), Yale (Mar. 11), and Fairfield (Mar. 12) in a non-conference match between conference foes.
Marist at Hofstra
1. Javier Restrepo (MARM) def. Marcus Smith (HOFSTRA) 6-1, 6-0
2. Rudolf Kurz (MARM) def. Niko Vulinovich (HOFSTRA) 6-3, 6-3
3. Justin Chanthalangsy (MARM) def. Jan Leithner (HOFSTRA) 7-6 (7-1), 7-5
4. Gianlucca Massa (MARM) def. Coco Haener (HOFSTRA) 6-4, 7-5
5. Christopher Gladden (MARM) def. David Schrott (HOFSTRA) 6-4, 6-2
6. Dylan Fletcher (MARM) def. Nick Silvestri (HOFSTRA) 6-2, 6-1