(6-16, 3-8 MAAC)
  1st 2nd F
Marist 40 22 62 
Fairfield  34   38  72 
 Box Score | Facebook Photo Gallery

(9-10, 4-6 MAAC)
Fairfield Comes Back, Defeats Marist
 Stat Comparison Marist Fairfield
 FG Made-Attempted  21-55  24-58 
 FG Percentage .382  .414 
 3P Made-Attempted  3-16   9-24 
 3P Percentage .188  .375 
 FT Made-Attempted 17-22   15-22 
 FT Percentage .773  .682 
 Rebounds 28  47 
 Assists 13 
 Turnovers 10  15 
 Individual Leaders


 Points Lamb, 14  Nelson, 21 
 Rebounds Lamb, 6  Kasibabu, 9
 Assists Parker, 3  Segura, 5
 Steals Brooks, 2  Four with 1
 Blocks Knudsen/Brooks, 1   Kasibabu, 4  
 Up Next

Who: Monmouth
When: Mon. Jan. 30 - 7 p.m.
Where: McCann Arena

Audio | Video | TicketsFull Schedule 

BRIDGEPORT, Connecticut - The Marist men’s basketball team was defeated at Fairfield in a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference game by a score of 72-62 on Saturday at Webster Bank Arena.

The Red Foxes led by as much as 13 in the first half, and held a 40-34 halftime advantage. However, the Stags outscored the Red Foxes 38-22 over the final 20 minutes.

“We lost our defensive discipline in the second half,” Marist head coach Mike Maker said. “The guys’ hearts are in the right place. They gave a valiant effort. Give Fairfield credit for a beautiful 20 minutes in the second half.”

The Red Foxes jumped out to an early lead as they scored on their first three possessions, which included back-to-back three-pointers by sophomore swingman Kristinn Palsson. A 7-0 run, punctuated by a three-pointer by sophomore swingman David Knudsen, gave Marist a 30-20 lead and forced a Fairfield timeout at the 7:56 mark of the first half. The Red Foxes’ advantage expanded to 13 when two free throws by sophomore forward Isaiah Lamb made the score 36-23 at the 3:21 mark.

Marist led by 11 until the final 12 seconds of the first half. Two free throws by Fairfield’s Tyler Nelson cut the Stags’ deficit to nine. Then, after a turnover by sophomore guard Brian Parker, a three-pointer by Fairfield’s Curtis Cobb cut the Stags’ deficit to six heading to the locker room.

A transition basket by Jonathan Kasibabu gave Fairfield its first lead since the game’s opening minute at 46-44 with 15:13 remaining. With 13:46 to play, a jumper by Nelson gave the Stags the lead for good. In all, Fairfield used a 23-4 run over a span of 9:46 to expand its lead to double digits. A basket by sophomore guard Richie Mitchell brought the Red Foxes to within six at the 2:36, but they drew no closer.

“We need more positive thoughts,” Maker said. “When you’re trying to change culture and a program, you lose a lot of momentum trying to get to the top of the hill.”

Lamb led four Marist double-digit scorers with 14 points, and grabbed a team-high six rebounds. Parker contributed 13 points, five rebounds, and a team-high here assists. Palsson and red-shirt senior guard Khallid Hart added 11. The Red Foxes shot 10-for-32 (.313) from the field, 0-for-9 from three-point range, and 2-for-6 (.333) from the free-throw line in the second half.

For Fairfield, Nelson led all scorers with 21, followed by Cobb with 20. Kasibabu had game highs of nine rebounds and four blocks. The Stags held a 47-28 advantage on the boards.

Marist is now 6-16 overall and 3-8 in the MAAC. Fairfield is 9-10 overall and 4-6 in conference play.

The Red Foxes will return to action on Monday night, when they host first-place Monmouth at McCann Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. Tickets are available at MaristTickets.com.