FAIRFIELD, Connecticut – The Marist women’s tennis team clinched a berth in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Championships with a 4-3 win over the Fairfield Stags Wednesday afternoon at the WAC Tennis Courts. The win improves the Red Foxes to 8-5 overall and 5-1 in conference.
The teams faced off in singles first and the Red Foxes won from the first, second, third, and fifth positions to clinch the match before doubles play.
Chloe Lant scored a win at first singles over Sarah Stuhlmann, 6-1, 6-1. Ariel Shulman won from the second singles spot, 6-0, 6-0 over Nicole Aragones. Claire Schmitz continued her hot play of late and defeated Dianna Plinos, 6-4, 6-4 and Callie Morlock won the Red Foxes fourth singles point, defeating Fairfield’s Shelby Vertula, 6-4, 6-3.
The Red Foxes won from the first doubles position as well as Shulman teamed up with Amy Galloway to win 6-2.
Marist will get the weekend off before returning home for a non-conference game against Colgate on Tuesday, April 18. The match is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. at the Marist Tennis pavilion.
Marist at Fairfield
1. Chloe Lant (MARW) def. Sarah Stuhlmann (FFD) 6-1, 6-1
2. Ariel Shulman (MARW) def. Nicole Aragones (FFD) 6-0, 6-0
3. Claire Schmitz (MARW) def. Diana Plinos (FFD) 6-3, 6-4
4. Jessica Pil (FFD) def. Sophia Moeller (MARW) 6-4, 6-3
5. Callie Morlock (MARW) def. Shelby Vertula (FFD) 6-4, 6-3
6. Emily Lombardi (FFD) def. Elizabeth Brozovich (MARW), 6-4, 6-3